Sir Douglas Flint CBE
Major Career Roles:
- Group Chair, HSBC Holdings plc
- Chair, abrdn plc
- Chair, IP Group plc
- Chair, Royal Marsden Hospital and Charity
- HM Treasury’s Special Envoy, Financial and Professional Services to China’s Belt and Road Initiative
- Non-Executive Director and Audit Committee Chair, BP plc
- CFO, HSBC Holdings plc
Other Career Highlights:
- Member, Mayors of Shanghai and Beijing’s International Business Leaders’ Advisory Councils
- Member, International Advisory Board of the China Europe International Business School, Shanghai
- Chair, Institute of International Finance
- Partner, KPMG LLP
- Chair, Financial Reporting Council’s review of the Turnbull Guidance on Internal Control
- Member, Accounting Standards Board and the Advisory Council of the International Accounting Standards Board
- Chair, Just Finance Foundation
Sir Douglas Flint has extensive experience of Board leadership in global financial services and in multinational public companies. He has a wide range of experience gained in over 25 years of serving on public company boards, with over 10 years as Chair. He has considerable experience of financial reporting, stewardship and governance matters and is an expert on China.
Sir Douglas is currently Chair of abrdn plc, one of Europe’s leading investment and wealth management groups, and Chair of IP Group plc, which invests in early-stage hard science with the potential to evolve into world-changing businesses.
He is also an Advisory Board member at Hakluyt & Co. Ltd and Motive Partners, serves on the International Advisory Panel of the Monetary Authority of Singapore and is a Board member of the Institute of International Finance.
In other roles, Sir Douglas is Chair of the Royal Marsden Hospital and Charity, a Director of the Centre for Policy Studies and chairs a corporate partnership board at Cancer Research UK.
In 2017, he was appointed by the Chancellor as Special Envoy for Financial and Professional Services to China’s Belt and Road Initiative, a role he fulfilled until 2022.
Sir Douglas was awarded the CBE in 2006 and was knighted in 2018, in both instances for his services to the finance industry.