Laura Cha , GBM, GBS, JP
Major Career Roles:
- Chair, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd
- Former Chair, Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp Ltd.
- Non-Executive Director, Unilever plc.
- Non-Executive Director, London Metal Exchange Limited
- Independent Director, Ant Group Co Ltd.
- Senior International Advisor, Foundation Assets Management AB
- International Advisory Council member, Sotheby’s
- Executive Council member, Government of Hong Kong
Other Career Highlights:
- Deputy Chair, Securities and Futures Commission in Hong Kong
- Vice Chair, China Securities Regulatory Commission
- Independent Non-Executive Director, China Telecom Corporation Limited
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Johnson Electric Holdings Limited
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Baoshan Iron & Steel Co Limited
- Independent Non-Executive Director, Tata Consultancy Services Limited
Laura Cha is a titan of her field with over 25 years of international senior leadership experience working as Chair for HKEX and private companies. This has allowed her to gain a vast multi-industry knowledge in government, financial services, consumer goods, manufacturing and consulting.
Laura Cha is Chair of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Ltd and the former Chair of Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corp Ltd. She is a Non-Executive Director of Unilever plc. and the London Metal Exchange Limited, and Independent Director at Ant Group Co Ltd (Ant Small and Micro Financial Services Group Co Ltd prior to 07/2020).
She is a Senior International Advisor of Foundation Assets Management AB. She is also a member of Sotheby’s International Advisory Council and a member of the Executive Council of the Government of Hong Kong.
Laura was a practicing attorney from 1983 to 1990 in San Francisco and Hong Kong. She worked for the Securities and Futures Commission in Hong Kong from 1991 to 2000, becoming its Deputy Chair in 1998. In January 2001 she was appointed as Vice-Chair of the China Securities Regulatory Commission and became the first, and to-date, the only person outside Mainland China to join the Central Government of the People’s Republic of China at the vice-ministerial rank. She served in that position until September 2004.
Laura has previously served as Independent Non-Executive Director of China Telecom Corporation Limited, Johnson Electric Holdings Limited, Baoshan Iron & Steel Co Limited and Tata Consultancy Services Limited.