Major Career Roles:
- CEO, Société Générale de Belgique Suez and Engie for 29 years
- Honorary Chair and CEO, Engie SA
- Chair/CEO, Suez SA
- Executive Chair, Afalula
- Independent Board member, AXA SA
- Director, Compagnie de Saint-Gobain SA
Other Career Highlights:
- Representative Director, Saudi Electricity Co.
- Independent Board member, Siemens AG
- Non-Executive Director, International Power plc
- First Vice Chair, Aguas de Barcelona
- Board member/Director, Tattinger
- Independent Director, Credit Agricole SA
- Chair, Tractebel
- Council member, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Chair, Paris Europlace
Gérard Mestrallet has 30 years of knowledge and expertise working as CEO and Chair for CAC 40, EURO STOXX 50 and SBF 120 companies combined with a multi-industry knowledge of the utility sector, finance, industrials, insurance, government, manufacturing and construction. He also has significant experience in the transformation and development of large groups in the energy and environment sectors.
Gérard is Honorary Chair of Engie SA, CEO, Chair then Honorary Chair of Suez SA, and Executive Chair of Afalula. For 29 years, he was CEO of Société Générale de Belgique Suez and Engie. Until May 2023 he was Independent Director of Société Générale. Gérard has significant experience in the transformation and development of large groups in the Energy and Environment sectors.
Gérard has held various positions at the Treasury Department and as a staff member for the Minister of Economy and Finance (J. Delors).
Gérard joined Compagnie Financière de Suez in 1984. In 1991 he was named Chair of the Management Committee of Société Générale de Belgique. In 1995, Gérard became Chair and Chief Executive Officer of Compagnie de Suez. He was appointed Chair and Chief Executive Officer of GDF Suez (now Engie) when Suez merged with Gaz de France in 2008.
Gérard is Chair of the Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council. He was recently appointed by the President of France as Executive Chair of the French Agency for the cultural, heritage and tourism development of AlUla (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) in co-operation with the Kingdom. He is also senior adviser for CVC Capital Partners.