Major Career Roles:
- CEO of Société Générale de Belgique Suez and Engie for 29 years
- Honorary Chair and CEO of Engie SA
- Chair/CEO of Suez SA
- Executive Chair of Afalula
Other Career Highlights:
- Independent Board Member of AXA SA
- Representative Director of Saudi Electricity company
- Director of Compagnie de St-Gobain SA
- Independent Board Member of Siemens AG
- NED of International Power PLC
- First Vice Chair Aguas de Barcelona
- Board Member/Director of Tattinger
- Independent Director of Credit Agricole SA
- Chair of Tractebel
- Council Member of JPMorgan & Chase
- Chair of Paris Europlace
Gerard has 30 years of knowledge and expertise working as CEO and Chair for CAC 40, EURO STOXX 50, SBF 120 companies combined with a multi-industry knowledge of the utility sector, finance, industrials, insurance, government, manufacturing, and construction. Gerard also has significant experience in the transformation and development of large groups in the Energy and Environment sectors.
Gérard Mestrallet is Independent Director of Société Générale. He is Honorary Chair of Engie SA, CEO, Chair then Honorary Chair of Suez SA, and Executive Chair of Afalula. For 29 years, he was CEO of Société Générale de Belgique Suez and Engie. He has significant experience in the transformation and development of large groups in the Energy and Environment sectors.
Gérard has held various positions at the Treasury Department and as a staff member for the Minister of Economy and Finance (J. Delors).
He joined Compagnie Financière de Suez in 1984. In 1991 he was named Chair of the Management Committee of Societe Generale de Belgique. In 1995, Gérard became Chair and Chief Executive Officer of Compagnie de Suez. He was appointed Chair and Chief Executive Officer of GDF Suez (now ENGIE) when Suez merged with Gaz de France on July 2008.
Gérard is a member of the Board of Societe Generale and Chair of the Chongqing Mayor’s International Economic Advisory Council. Gérard was recently appointed by the President of France as Executive Chair of the French Agency for the cultural, heritage and tourism development of AlUla (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia) in cooperation with the Kingdom. He is also senior advisor for CVC Capital Partners.