Tom de Swaan
Major Career Roles:
- Chair, Supervisory Board and former CFO, ABN AMRO Bank NV
- Vice Chair, Supervisory Board of Royal DSM NV
- Chair, Zurich Insurance Group AG
- Chair, Foundation Funds Netherlands Cancer Institute
- Member, Advisory Board of the Akbank Turk Anonim Sirketi A/S
- Vice Chair, Supervisory Board of Royal Ahold NV
- Chair, Amsterdam Financial Centre and the Banking Supervisory Sub-Committee of the European Monetary Institute
Other Career Highlights:
- Member, Governing Board of De Nederlandsche Bank
- Chair, Supervisory Board of Van Lanschot Bankiers
- Member, Board of Directors of GSK plc
- Advisory Board member, China Banking Regulatory Commission
- Chair, Basel Committee, Banking Supervision
- Chair, National Opera & Ballet Fund
- Member, Board of Directors of the International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children
Tom de Swaan has over 20 years of international senior-leadership experience from working as a Chair for AEX, Euronext 100, SMI, STOXX Europe 50 and other private and public companies. This has given him a multi-industry knowledge in financial services, insurance, chemicals, government and pharmaceuticals.
Tom is Chair of the Supervisory Board of ABN AMRO Bank NV. He is also an Advisory Board member of Akbank Turk Anonim Sirketi A/S. He was previously Chair of Zurich Insurance Group AG, Vice Chair of the Supervisory Board of Royal DSM NV, a Netherlands-based global life-sciences and material-sciences group, Vice Chair of the Supervisory Board of Royal Ahold NV, a multi-country supermarket chain, and Chair of the Amsterdam Financial Centre and the Banking Supervisory Sub-Committee of the European Monetary Institute.
He was a member of the Governing Board of De Nederlandsche Bank, a member of the Executive Board and CFO of ABN AMRO.
Tom has developed a broad portfolio of corporate and not-for-profit activities, and has served on several Boards, including as a member of the Supervisory Board of Van Lanschot Kempen NV, the holding company of an independent Dutch bank, where he served as Chair until the end of 2015. He was also a member of the Advisory Board of the China Banking Regulatory Commission in Beijing from 2009 to 2017.
Tom is also Chair of the Foundation Funds of the Netherlands Cancer Institute. On the not-for-profit side he is, among his other roles, Chair of the Board of the National Opera & Ballet Fund and member of the Supervisory Board of the Holland Festival.