Dame Clara Furse
Major Career Roles:
- Chair of HSBC UK Bank plc
- CEO of London Stock Exchange Group plc
- External Member of the Bank of England’s Financial Policy Committee (FPC)
- NED Vodafone Group Plc
- NED Generali Assicurazioni SpA
- NED, Committee Chair & Deputy Chair of Liffe Holdings Ltd
- Lead Independent Director of the UK Department for Work and Pensions
Other Career Highlights:
- NED & Committee Chair of Amadeus IT Group SA
- Chair of Nomura Bank International plc and NED of Nomura Holdings Inc.
- NED of Legal & General Group plc
- NED of Euroclear plc
- NED of LCH Clearnet Group Ltd
- NED of Fortis SA
- Group CEO of Credit Lyonnais Rouse
- Managing Director & Global Head of Futures at UBS
Dame Clara Furse is an experienced Chair, with a wealth of professional experience and expertise within financial services, telecommunications, travel industry networks, technology and digital transformation.
Dame Clara is Chair of HSBC UK Bank plc, the ring-fenced bank of HSBC Group plc. She is a Non-Executive Director of Vodafone Group plc and Generali Assicurazioni SpA. She is a member of the Panel of Senior Advisors to Chatham House and Chair of the UK Voluntary Carbon Markets Forum.
Dame Clara’s executive career has spanned a broad range of global financial markets. She was appointed as the first female CEO of the London Stock Exchange Group, a FTSE 100 company, in January 2001. From 2013 to 2016 she was a member of the Bank of England’s Financial Policy Committee.
In 2007, Dame Clara was listed among Time’s 100 most influential people in the world. In 2008, she was appointed DBE. In 2012, Dame Clara chaired the Lead Expert Group of the UK Government’s Office for Science Foresight Project on the future of computer trading in financial markets.